What is an EHC Needs Assessment?

How to Request a Statutory Needs Assessment

If you think your child or young person needs a statutory needs assessment and Education, Health and Care Plan you should in the first instance discuss this with your child’s school or early years setting SENCO, or with the College. The majority of applications for statutory assessment the LA receives are coordinated by the child’s or young person’s school, college or early years setting.

To request a statutory needs assessment for yourself as a young person or for your child as their parent or carer you can:

  • Request a statutory needs assessment in writing directly to the Local Authority either in writing or by email to SENDService@swindon.gov.uk
  • Discuss with the school/college/setting who can coordinate the application and all the relevant evidence
  • Discuss with another professional or key worker you work with, they can make a request on your behalf

Education Health and Care Plan Easy Read

The SEND Service have co-produced a series of Easy Read leaflets to help people understand what an Education Health and Care Plan is. 

These leaflets are designed to be easy to understand for people who may have difficulty reading standard leaflets. 

Check out the Education Health and Care Plan Easy Read.

More Information

More detailed information on the Statutory Needs Assessment, EHC Plan and the on going monitoring of a plan in Swindon.

Applying for an Education, Health and Care Plan

Education, Health and Care Plan Flowchart