Cycling is for everyone and in Swindon there are lots of opportunities to get on your bike.
Swindon has a great network of cycle paths and routes, you can download maps from the Swindon Travel Choices webpage.
New to cycling? There are a number of Cycle Training opportunities in Swindon to get you more confident on two wheels. Swindon also has ‘Wheels for All’ sessions for those with disabilities and health conditions. The NHS also offers information on cycling for beginners.
If you want to cycle more our Guided Rides are for you. All you have to do is bring your bike and pedal. Our team of friendly Ride Leaders do the rest. It's easy and free. You'll meet new people, improve your fitness, and get more confident on your bike.
If you want to join a local club the Swindon Cycle Campaign website has all the details you need.
Walking is simple, free, and one of the easiest ways to get more active, lose weight and become healthier. Visit the NHS website for information and advice on walking for health.
For walking maps and circular routes the Swindon Travel Choices website has lots of ideas and information.
Active & Inclusive
If you have a disability of health condition there are lots of local opportunities for you to be active in Swindon. There is information and advice on getting active with a disability on the NHS website. The Disability Sport Swindon website has a timetable of fun and inclusive opportunities including swimming, cycling, trampolining, boxing, athletics and lots more.
The Aiming High Newsletter is issued three times per year, ahead of the main school holidays. It includes the latest information about services for the families of children and young people with disabilities and details accessible activities taking place during the holidays
Activities, Clubs & Groups
There are a number of ways to find out about the opportunities on offer across Swindon to enable you to become active every day, find a recreational activity or a new sport.
- The Swindon Sports Forum list a number of local accredited clubs.
- The Total Guide to Sport have lists of local sports clubs and facilities.
- Wilts & Swindon Sport have lots of opportunities listed on their webpage.
- In addition, Be Assured is a programme across Swindon and Wiltshire working to ensure that sports coaches and physical activity providers have certain knowledge and skills to deliver effective, safe sessions of a high quality.
- Swindon Town FC Foundation deliver lots of football activities for all ages and abilities in Swindon.
- Many of the local leisure centres are operated by GLL BETTER. They provide activities including ice skating, swimming, trampolining and lots more.
- Swindon has a free weekly 5k parkrun at Lydiard Park & at Seven Fields (Penhill) every Saturday and a weekly 2k Junior Parkrun also at Lydiard Park on Sundays.
- GoodGym Swindon are a community of runners that combine getting fit with doing good. They stop off on runs to do physical tasks for community organisations and to support isolated older people with social visits and one-off tasks they can't do on their own. It's a great way to get fit, meet new people and do some good.
For more information, contact the Live Well Hub on 01793 465513. We are available Monday to Thursday from 9.00am to 5.00pm and Friday from 9.00am to 4.30pm.