Drug and alcohol support services
Swindon Borough Council commission a broad range of treatment and support services that cater for drug and/or alcohol users, carers, friends and family.
Our services reflect Swindon’s population and offer appropriate levels of care and support regardless of age, gender, religion, sexual preference or cultural background.
Turning Point (IMPACT) - Swindon and Wiltshire Active Recovery Service
Turning Point are a charity dedicated to promoting wellbeing and recovery from addiction when you feel ready to take those steps.
Swindon & Wiltshire Active Recovery Service (IMPACT) is a free, confidential service for anyone who is concerned about their own or someone else's substance use. Their team of specialist workers are skilled in helping people decide what changes they want to make, whether you need intensive support or just some brief advice, they will support you.
They provide evening sessions for those who cannot attend during the working day and can offer online tools to make accessing support as easy as possible.
Swindon’s Young People's Substance Misuse Service (U-Turn)
Swindon’s Young People's Substance Misuse Service is delivered by U-Turn. U-Turn provides support, help and guidance to young people and their families for all drug or alcohol related problems. It works pro-actively in preventing drug use and providing education to children and young people. It is a free, referral-based service.
Needle and syringe exchange scheme
- advice on safer injecting practices
- advice on minimising the harm done by drugs, including performance and image-enhancing drugs
- advice on how to avoid and manage an overdose including the use of Naloxone, as well as basic life support
- information on the safe handling and correct disposal of injecting equipment
- access to blood-borne virus testing, vaccination and treatment services
- help to stop injecting drugs, including access to drug treatment (for example, opioid substitution therapy) and encouragement to switch to safer drug taking practices, if these are available