Help to stop smoking
Quitting smoking is the single most important thing you can do to dramatically increase your chances of living longer. This page will signpost you to services where you can access one-to-one support.
Benefits of quitting smoking
You don’t have to wait long for the benefits to start once you stop.
- In 20 minutes your blood pressure and pulse return to normal
- In 8 hours nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in your blood are halved
- In 24 hours carbon monoxide will be eliminated from your body and your lungs will have started to clear out the tar that’s been clogging them up
- In 48 hours no nicotine will be left in your body. Your senses of taste and smell are greatly improved
- In 72 hours your breathing becomes easier and your energy levels increase
- Between 2-12 weeks your circulation improves and exercise can be easier
- Between 3-9 months any coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve
Cost of smoking
Smoking is expensive and you might be surprised at how it all adds up. On average, most people who quit save around £250 each month.
That's nearly £3,000 a year going up in smoke. What else could you spend that money on?
Getting help and support when you are stopping smoking is really important.
You are three times more likely to successfully quit by getting professional help. In Swindon, you can access free one-to-one support along with stop smoking medicines, which are available for the cost of the prescription, through the Stop Smoking Service offered at most GP surgeries and pharmacies.
For more information, contact the Swindon Stop Smoking Service direct or visit:
Stop Smoking Service Tel: 01793 465512
Find services and support:
Stop smoking aids
Some people find nicotine cravings the hardest thing to handle about quitting. If this sounds like you, then there's no need to worry. There are plenty of stop smoking aids and treatments out there and they can give you the extra support you need to kick the habit for good.
NHS stop smoking medicines
There are plenty of stop smoking medicines out there and they can give you the extra support you need to beat the addiction. For more information, visit:
Many thousands of smokers are quitting with e-cigarettes. There is growing evidence that they can help people stop smoking for good. Using an e-cigarette isn't completely risk free, but it is much less harmful than smoking and can be especially effective when combined with additional support to help you quit, such as one-to-one Stop Smoking Services offered by many GPs and pharmacies in Swindon. For more information, visit: