We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Training, Employment and Work Packages (16+)

When you child leaves school, they should have the following options available to them:

  • Adult Education or Training in a mainstream college, adult community learning or a private training provider. 
  • Employment which may include work based training such as Apprenticeships


A. Skills and Training

More information on Your Options at 16+ can be found here


Adult Community Learning

Our short courses are delivered in community settings.  They are designed to help you in developing the skills that will support you in your life and your work.

Link to our site for our Course Brochure  


Further Education

There are several colleges in the local area which offer a variety of courses and opportunities.  Here are the links below where you can explore their websites:


Other Useful Sites on Learning and Support: 


Disabled Students’ Allowance

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSAs) provide extra financial help if you want to study a higher education course and have a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia.


B. Employment 

Supported Employment Providers

There are currently two providers offering support to people with long term health conditions to find paid work, training or education.  These are:

Building Bridges Programme 

About Us

Funded by the Big Lottery Fund and the European Social Fund. The Building Bridges programme supports people across Swindon and Wiltshire who are facing significant challenges in being able to develop their skills, access education or move towards the world of work.

What we do

The Building Bridges programme supports people across Swindon and Wiltshire who are facing significant challenges in being able to develop their skills, access education or move towards the world of work.

What we charge

Free programme

What we offer

Work experience and work taster sessions - CV development workshops - Job searching - Interview preparation - In-work support - Volunteering opportunities - Psychologist-led counselling services - Specialist employment support for people with an Autistic Spectrum condition


In order to take part, you must meet all of the following criteria: - Not working - Have the legal right to work in the United Kingdom - Live in Swindon or Wiltshire - Be aged 15 or over - Not in Prison - Not on a zero hours contract

For more information contact:


Telephone: 01793 464770

Email: supportedemployment@swindon.gov.uk


Pluss Organisation

Pluss is an award-winning Community Interest Company that supports thousands of people with disabilities and other disadvantages to move towards and into employment each year.

Our employment operations help jobseekers who need support to find work. Our enterprise operations run alongside to create direct employment opportunities in a wide range of job roles.

With a proven track record spanning over 45 years, we deliver a range of nationally and locally procured employment programme on behalf of the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), ESF, Big Lottery Fund, Local Authorities and the NHS.

Our vision is simple: To inspire people of all abilities to achieve a career.

For more information please contact.

Free phone: 0800 334 5525

Email: employment.bureau@pluss.org.uk


Access to Work Scheme

If you are disabled or have a physical or mental health condition that makes it hard for you to do your job, you can apply for an Access to Work Grant.

To get help from Access to Work you must:

  • have a disability or health condition (physical or mental) that makes it hard for you to do parts of your job or get to and from work
  • be 16 or over
  • live in England, Scotland or Wales - there’s a different system in Northern Ireland

You also need to have a paid job, or be about to start or return to one. A paid job could include:

  • self-employment
  • an apprenticeship
  • a work trial or work experience
  • an internship

You cannot get a grant for voluntary work.

An Access to Work grant can pay for:

  • special equipment, adaptations or support worker services to help you do things like answer the phone or go to meetings
  • help getting to and from work

For more information about Access to Work please visit:


Independent special schools and colleges

Back to top