Secondary Schools

All schools must:

  • Use their best endeavours to make sure that a child with SEND gets the support they need – this means doing everything they can to meet children and young people’s SEND.
  • Ensure that children and young people with SEND engage in the activities of the school alongside pupils who do not have SEND.
  • Designate a teacher to be responsible for co-ordinating SEND provision (the SEND co-ordinator, or SENCo).
  • Inform parents when they are making special educational provision for a child.
  • Prepare a report annually on the implementation of their SEND policy and their arrangements for the admission of children with SEND, the steps being taken to treat SEND children equitably, the facilities provided to enable access to the school for all children and their accessibility plan showing how they plan to improve access progressively over time.

In the Code of Practice, a single school stage called SEND support is implemented by early years' settings, schools, colleges and other providers with the aim of early identification of needs, early help and support for children with special educational needs and disabilities. All schools must publish their own Local Offer on their website and provide information on where the local authority Local Offer is published. 

What should you do if you are worried about your child at school? You feel that Your Child’s School Cannot Support His or Her Needs?

You should talk to your child's teacher or SENCo (Special Education Needs Coordinator) if you're worried about any aspect of school. If you are not happy with the response, you can discuss your concerns with the class teacher, head of year, senior leader or head teacher. The school will also have a complaints procedure you can follow. This should be available on the school’s website.

FAQ's: I am concerned about issues with my child at school, what should I do? 

Specialist provision

Some of our mainstream schools have specialist resource provisions (SRPs) for pupils with complex learning disabilities.

We also have seven special schools and a service for Education other than at School (EOTAS) which includes a Pupil Referral Unit. 

The distinction between mainstream and special schools is a legal one. A special school is wholly for pupils with SEND and is specifically for children with complex special educational needs and/or disabilities whose needs cannot be met within the mainstream schooling system.

Some non-maintained or independent schools cater wholly or mainly for children with SEND and are often referred to as independent special schools.

More information about our specialist provision can be found here

Independent or Non-Maintained Schools

These schools can be day or residential and cater wholly or partly for pupils with special educational needs and disabilities. It is our practice to place Swindon children in Swindon schools and it would only be in exceptional circumstances that we would seek and fund a school place outside of the Borough.

There is a national list of DfE approved independent education institutions, independent schools and post-16 providers.

A child's parent or young person can make a request for a particular educational institution via school admissions processes.

Special Schools 

Secondary Schools

  • For young people with complex learning difficulties and other associated difficulties: Crowdys Hill School
  • For young people with social emotional and mental health (SEMH) difficulties : St Luke’s School
  • For young people with severe, profound & multiple learning difficulties and other associated difficulties and disabilities: Uplands School
  • Churchward School - Special school for C&YP with autism and associated communication needs 

Mainstream Schools with Special Resourced Provision (SRP) 

Secondary Schools

  • SRP for young people with severe specific learning difficulties as well as SRP for young people with a physical disability: The Commonweal School
  • SRP for young people with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD): Lydiard Park Academy 
  • SRP for young people with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD): Kingsdown School 
  • SRP for young people with Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC): The Ridgeway School 

Schools’ Responsibilities