We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Primary Schools

All schools must:

  • Use their best endeavours to make sure that a child with SEN gets the support they need – this means doing everything they can to meet children and young people’s SEN.
  • Ensure that children and young people with SEN engage in the activities of the school alongside pupils who do not have SEN.
  • Designate a teacher to be responsible for co-ordinating SEN provision (the SEN co-ordinator, or SENCo).
  • Inform parents when they are making special educational provision for a child.
  • Prepare a report annually on the implementation of their SEN policy and their arrangements for the admission of children with SEND, the steps being taken to treat SEND children equitably, the facilities provided to enable access to the school for all children and their accessibility plan showing how they plan to improve access progressively over time.

In the Code of Practice, a single school stage called SEN support is implemented by early years' settings, schools, colleges and other providers with the aim of early identification of needs, early help and support for children with special educational needs and disabilities. All schools must publish their own Local Offer on their website and provide information on where the local authority Local Offer is published.


What should you do if you are worried about your child at school? You feel that Your Child’s School Cannot Support His or Her Needs?

You should talk to your child's teacher or SENCo (Special Education Needs Coordinator) if you're worried about any aspect of school. If you are not happy with the response, you can discuss your concerns with the class teacher, head of year, senior leader or head teacher. The school will also have a complaints procedure you can follow. This should be available on the school’s website.


Specialist provision

Some of our mainstream schools have specialist resource provisions (SRPs) for pupils with complex learning disabilities.

We also have seven special schools and a service for Education other than at School (EOTAS) which includes a Pupil Referral Unit. 

The distinction between mainstream and special schools is a legal one. A special school is wholly for pupils with SEN and is specifically for children with complex special educational needs and/or disabilities whose needs cannot be met within the mainstream schooling system.

Some non-maintained or independent schools cater wholly or mainly for children with SEN and are often referred to as independent special schools.

More information about our specialist provision can be found here


Independent or Non-Maintained Schools

These schools can be day or residential and cater wholly or partly for pupils with special educational needs and disabilities. It is our practice to place Swindon children in Swindon schools and it would only be in exceptional circumstances that we would seek and fund a school place outside of the Borough.

There is a national list of DfE approved independent education institutions, independent schools and post-16 providers.

A child's parent or young person can make a request for a particular educational institution via school admissions processes.


Special Schools

Primary Schools

  • For children with severe, profound & multiple learning difficulties and other associated difficulties and disabilities. Includes children with Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC): Brimble Hill Primary School
  • For children with complex Learning Difficulties including children with Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC): The Chalet
  • For children with behavioural, emotional and social development difficulties: Nyland Campus


Mainstream Schools with Special Resourced Provision (SRP)

Primary Schools

  • SRP for children with a physical disability: Robert Le Kyng Primary School
  • SRP for children with complex learning and other difficulties: Eldene Primary School
  • SRP for children with significant/severe speech and language/communication difficulties: Even Swindon
  • SRP for children with complex learning and other difficulties: Millbrook
  • SRP for children who are deaf or have profound hearing loss and SRP for children with complex learning and other difficulties: Red Oaks
  • SRP for children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or related social, communication and interaction difficulties: Ruskin Junior
  • SRP for children with a physical disability: Westlea Primary School


Schools’ Responsibilities 




Back to top