Getting ready for employment
This page provides lots of information, advice and resources on how you can improve your employability skills, knowledge and experience. From useful websites to supported employment services, information on traineeships and short courses there’s lots of useful advice here.
Employability and work skills training
- New College Swindon - Adult Learning Centre - offer regular Maths, English and IT courses. The centre also offers a great choice of employability and Community Learning courses with a weekly Job Club
- Phoenix Enterprises - provide support, training and employment opportunities for adults experiencing short or long term mental health problems
- Youth Employment UK - their Skills and Careers Hub provides 14-24 year olds with free resources, advice and guidance. Designed with input from young people, the Skills and Careers Hub offers practical tools to support young people through education, transition into employment and beyond in a process of lifelong learning.
- Careerpilot - online resource providing careers information and tools for 11-19 year olds
- StedyChefs Learning Centre - offer a range of courses for adults with disabilities, local schools, colleges and provisions based around catering and hospitality. The courses provide great hands-on experience, and can lead to gaining employability and independent living skills.
Transport and travel training
- Swindon Borough Council Supported Employment Service (Building Bridges) - the Supported Employment Service supports people across Swindon who are facing significant challenges in being able to develop their skills, access education or move towards the world of work.
- Dial A Ride - a local voluntary organisation whose aim is to provide safe, affordable, accessible transport for the community. They assist anyone whose mobility impairment means that they are unable to use existing public transport.
- Disability Experts - you can complete a range of short courses and qualifications
- CSCS Card - confused about which card you need? The most common card is the green general operative card but depending on your trade or position, you may need to take a specialist or managers test.
- Tempus Training online - are you looking to work in construction? The construction industry offers a huge variety of roles and plenty of opportunities for career growth with average salaries of around £24k. To get on-site you’ll need a CSCS Card. Tempus Training’s completely free CSCS Programme will help you get the CSCS card plus the skills, qualifications and support to get into work quickly
- Key Performance Training - offer forklift, HGV, first aid, fire marshal training and more
- Access Skills Ltd - provider of health and social care training throughout the UK
- First City Training - Dorset and Wiltshire based training company providing training for the health and social care sector
- Down Syndrome Association (WorkFit) - programme offering support to gain work experience or voluntary work
- Headway - charity set up to give help and support to people affected by brain injury
- National Trust - a range of volunteer roles are available at a variety of locations
- Volunteer Rangers - Swindon Borough Council - our volunteer rangers carry out a variety of tasks in our local country parks, including helping to run, organise and deliver events such as guided walks, wildlife workshops and wildlife surveys
- Wiltshire Wildlife Trust - have a range of volunteer opportunities across Wiltshire
- Volunteer Centre Swindon - offers advice and support to people wanting to volunteer
Work based training
Industrial Cadets - offer a variety of engaging and dynamic programmes for ages 9-21 to explore careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths (STEM)
- Whitehead Ross Education - a range of traineeships available for those aged 16-24 years
- SBC Adult Community Learning - offers traineeships for those aged 19+ in partnership with Building Bridges
- Key Training - traineeship programmes to give those aged 16-24 the skills and experience that they need to progress into employment
- Haddon Training - offers traineeships for 16-23 year olds with little or no work experience
- Green Labyrinth - offer a range of traineeships, including accountancy, business administration, customer service and digital marketing
- PLUSS - supports people with disabilities and other disadvantages move into employment