Children in entertainment, employment and chaperones

Children under the school leaving age will require a child performance licence or work permit should they wish to be employed or partake in the following events:

  • films, plays, concerts or other public performances that the audience pays to see, or that take place on licensed premises
  • any sporting events or modelling assignments where the child is paid

Children partaking in performances will need to be accompanied and supervised by a legal guardian or a licenced chaperone. This is to safeguard, support and promote the well-being of the child whilst they are taking part in a performance. If you would like more details on how to become a chaperone, please visit children’s performance licences, work permits and chaperone licences where full guidance and application forms can be found.

The youngest age a child can work part-time is 13 years old and a child may only work full-time once they have reached the minimum school leaving age.

Please note: To safeguard children and slow the spread of COVID-19, the Council has decided to postpone the issue of any new work permits until such time that schools reopen and social distancing is no longer required. For further information, see the statement regarding child work permits.

Further information

You can find further information about children’s performance licences, work permits and chaperone licences on the Swindon Borough Council’s website.