Sex is a natural part of growing older. It’s important if you are engaging in sexual relationships that they are safe, consensual, and fun. This page has lots of information and advice on making sure you look after your sexual health and how to have healthy relationships.
If you need help with anything or are unsure which service you need, speak to your Pathway Advisor (PA) or anyone in the Positive Futures Team.
Where can I go to get sexual health help?
Swindon Sexual Health offers a free and confidential service in clinics across Swindon, including:
- Sexual health advice, testing, treatment and support to everyone
- Specific youth walk-in clinic for anyone under 20 years old
- Friendly, professional and a confidential service
Some of the clinics you need to make an appointment for but others are drop-in clinics so you can just turn up. The staff there are very professional and friendly, and anything you bring to them will be kept confidential unless you or someone you know is at risk of harm. You will not be judged on anything you bring to them.
What they offer:
- Contraception including free condoms
- Emergency contraception
- Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Chlamydia self-test kits
- Pregnancy tests and advice
- HIV testing and living with HIV support and advice
- Confidential advice and support
Where to go:
Swindon NHS Health Centre (2nd Floor), 1 Islington Street, Swindon, SN1 2DQ Tel: 01793 604038 or 01793 607870
Great Western Hospital (4th Floor) Marlborough Road, Swindon, SN3 6BB Tel: 01793 604038
Outreach nurses - offer young people free and confidential advice and support on sex and relationships. They work flexibly from a range of locations including Swindon Health Centre on Carfax Street, the Great Western Hospital, colleges, schools, youth centres, GP surgeries and in people’s own homes.
Who else can help me?
Children Looked After Health Team - Phone or text us for confidential advice Mon-Fri 9am-4pm. Contact Sally Harrison - 07392 109890 or Lianne Lewis - 07976 158224
GP surgery - visit your doctor or practice nurse for confidential advice and support
Pharmacy - some pharmacies in Swindon also provide emergency contraception, condoms and Chlamydia kits free. A list of these pharmacies is available from the Swindon Sexual Health clinics page.
Other services and resources
- British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) - even though there are many available methods of contraception none cannot prevent all unintended pregnancies and therefore sometimes young women can find they have an unplanned pregnancy and in need of advice. BPAS provide support, counselling, advice and care for making decisions around legal abortion. Tel: 03457 30 40 30
- BISH - an online resource about sex and relationships
- Health for teens - a website for 11-19 year olds to learn about their health, including sexual health and relationships
- NHS: sexual health - information and advice about your sexual health