Health and wellbeing support for care experienced young people

We care about your health and we want you to feel supported physically and emotionally to be as healthy as possible.

Everyone is unique and we all cope with challenges in different ways. It is important that you have a choice in what type of help you receive around your health and that it suits your needs.

If you are struggling there is always someone who can help.

You can talk to your Pathway Advisor (PA), anyone in the Positive Futures Team or follow some of the links below.

Who can help me?

Children Looked After Health Team - a team of Specialist Nurses based at the Lyndhurst Centre Swindon with experience of working with all age groups to help with emotional health. If you want help to access this service contact them on 01793 464334.

Prescription charges for care experienced young people 16–25-year-olds

Care experienced young people are eligible for free prescriptions if they are:

  • aged 16 to 18 and in full time education
  • receiving Universal Credit, Income Support, Income Based Employment and Support or Job Seekers Allowance
  • pregnant or have a baby in the last 12 months (you will need an exemption certificate from your GP)
  • Have a condition that accepts you from prescription charges

Support for care experienced young people on a low income

Those on a low income can apply for a Health Credit Certificate known as an HC2 or HC3. This gives reduced cost or free dental and air eye checks/treatment as well as prescription charges. This is dependent on income and needs at the time you apply for support. Certificates can last from six months to five years depending on circumstances.

For details and application form: NHS Low Income Scheme

Health and wellbeing support 

There is lots of information and advice to help support your physical, emotional and mental health, including:

National helplines

There are national helplines that can give you support and advice, such as:

The Samaritans - provide a 24 hour 365 days of the year, confidential, listening service providing emotional support to anyone in crisis and will offer you a safe place for you to talk any time you like about what is getting to you. You can call them on 116 123 (free) or email

Young Minds - provide advice for children and young people suffering with mental health on where they can go for support. They provide resources for young people, parents and professionals.

NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) - charity campaigning and working in child protection in the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands. They have put together a self-harm web page to provide information including why children self-harm, how to spot the signs and where to go to get help: NSPCC - self-harm  

National Self-Harm Network - supports individuals who self-harm to reduce emotional distress and improve their quality of life. Support and provide information for family and carers of individuals who self-harm. Raise awareness of the needs of people who self-harm, dispel myths and combat

Beat - the UK’s leading charity supporting anyone affected by eating disorders, anorexia, bulimia, eating disorder not otherwise specified (EDNOS) or any other difficulties with food, weight and shape.