Dentists and dental care

It is important to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Even if you don’t think there is anything wrong with your teeth it is important to see your dentist every six to twelve months for a check-up. Your Pathway Advisor can help you find and register with a dentist if you would like their help.

How can I keep my teeth healthy?

  • By brushing your teeth last thing at night and at least one other time during the day, with a fluoride toothpaste.
  • By cleaning between the teeth with brushes or floss at least once a day.
  • By having good eating habits - having sugary foods and drinks less often
  • By having regular dental check-ups - these should be 6 monthly-yearly depending on how healthy your teeth are.

How do I register with a dentist?

Find a dentist that is convenient to you – you do not need to live in a specific area so it can be near your home, college or work. You can search for a dentist on the NHS find a dentist page - just type your postcode into the search box and this will bring up a list of dentists in your area – you can then choose a practice and contact them direct to register.

How much does it cost?

Your dental treatment will be free if you are:

  • Under 19 and still in full-time education
  • Pregnant or have had a baby in the past 12 months
  • In receipt of certain benefits

If you have to pay for treatment the current cost for a check-up can be found on the NHS dental charges page. This check-up cost also includes any minor fillings and scale and polish if required. If you need any other treatment this may cost more but your dentist will talk to you about this.

What if I need emergency dental treatment?

If you need emergency dental treatment out of regular dentist hours you should call your dental practice who may offer some emergency slots or will have an answerphone message which will tell you who to contact. You can also contact NHS direct on 111 who can put you in touch with an urgent dental care service. However in serious cases where you have extreme pain, severe bleeding or injuries to the face, mouth or teeth you should go to accident and emergency (A&E).

Related content