Accommodation support for care leavers

You will want to find the right type of accommodation to live in and we want to find affordable, sustainable and successful housing options for our care leavers. There are many options available including supported housing, private accommodation and social housing. We will work with you and your Personal Adviser (PA) to find the most suitable accommodation option for you and will support you with referrals, tenancy training and financial payments to access accommodation.

‘Staying Put’ is a scheme whereby, if you are in foster care and wish to remain with your foster carers after you turn 18, it could be possible to support you. You should talk to your social worker at around the age of 16 so that you, your carers and your social worker are all in agreement with the plan.

We believe that were possible young people should remain in their care placement until they are at least 18. However if you choose to leave care before then we will ensure that you have suitable accommodation and support.

Accommodation - other support available

  • We will also help you if you are in a housing crisis including helping you if you are threatened with losing a tenancy or have actually lost one
  • If you are a Swindon care leaver living in Swindon we will pay your council tax bill up until the age of 21yrs. This should be arranged in discussion with your PA
  • We will help you claim Housing Benefit and Universal credit
  • We will provide you with up to £2,000 setting up home grant which can be accessed in discussion with your PA
  • We provide continuing advice and information about maintaining a tenancy, including paying rent, council tax and bills regularly
  • We will always seek to help you build on the independent living skills you already have

Useful contacts

Swindon Borough Council Housing Department
Tel: 01793 445503

Shelter – offers advice and guidance on housing matter, including advice specific to care leavers.
Free helpline: 0808 800 4444

The Albert Kennedy Trust (akt) – helps young people up to the age of 25 who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans or Intersex and are homeless or at risk of homelessness. 
Tel: 020 7831 6562

Getting in touch

For more information or advice, please contact the Care Leavers Team on 01793 466715 or email

Related content

Get advice if you are homeless