Access to your care leaver records

You have the right to see information that we keep about you, including the files and records written about you when you were in care.

If you would like to see your files, you can write (letter/email) to the Data Protection Officer, or complete the online request form - see the Make a Subject Access Request page for more information or to access the form. You may also find the Access to your personal information leaflet helpful.

You will also need to provide proof of ID (driving licence/passport and proof of address – this can be a photocopy/picture emailed to us). Normally it will take one month but it may take longer (up to a further two months if there are many files). You can only see your own information. 

Please ask your personal adviser to support you if you think it would be helpful.

We will help you gain important identification documents such as a birth certificate, passport and provisional driving licence before your 18th birthday.

We will provide support and sign post you to organisations that can provide support around any issues such as: religion, sexuality, gender or culture.


You can make a complaint about any part of Children’s Services and Community Health services via our Complain, comment or compliment children and adults services page. 

Alternatively you could contact:

The Complaints Manager
Children, Families and Community Health
Swindon Borough Council
Wat Tyler West (Ground)
Beckhampton Street
Tel: 01793 463302

We advise you to contact the team manager for the Leaving Care team directly on 01793 466981 and let them respond to your complaint directly.