Equipment to help you

What is available?

If you have problems opening jars or using some cooking utensils, there is a range of specially designed equipment to help make preparing and eating food simpler. This could be cutlery with 'easy to hold' handles, a kettle tipper to help you to pour water, or a perching stool so you can sit down whilst preparing and cooking food. Some people have difficulty carrying items around the kitchen safely, a height adjustable kitchen trolley can help to overcome this problem.

All these items of minor equipment will help make life easier for you and enable you to stay living independently in your own home.

Who can get it?

Items of minor equipment are available for people over the age of 18 who live in Swindon and who need practical help due to frailty or illness, physical or learning disabilities, sight or hearing loss. These can sometimes be all that is needed to help you to maintain your independence and quality of life.

If you think you need equipment aids for daily living or minor adaptations to your home, you may prefer to make your own arrangements. In which case, remember that you will be responsible for the costs of whatever you decide to buy. 

Alternatively, you can contact us to arrange an assessment to see what could make your day to day living easier. For adults, the Adult Social Care assessment process will also determine whether you are eligible to loan community equipment.

How much does it cost?

If you choose to order equipment yourself, you will be responsible for the costs of whatever you decide to buy. However, if following our assessment we agree that you are eligible for equipment to make your day to day living easier, then we will pay the full cost of the loan of that equipment.

Follow the link below to visit our online MarketPlace where you will find details of organisations that offer this type of service, and other services that will help you live independently 


How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.