Someone to help you

What is available?

If you are finding it increasingly difficult to manage everyday tasks, such as washing, cooking or getting dressed, it might be time to think about getting help from a care worker.

Once your practical needs have been assessed we can put together a care package that will give you practical help. This could include daily support from a care worker to help you with:

  • getting washed and dressed in the morning and a further call in the evening to help you get ready for bed
  • helping you with preparing meals and to ensure that you are eating properly
  • getting in and out of bed, or help to move around from room to room, including assistance to use the toilet if needed

Who gets a care package?

Anyone over the age of 18 who lives in Swindon and is registered with a Swindon GP, who meets the eligibility criteria and needs practical help, due to frailty or illness, physical or learning disabilities, sight or hearing loss. Help is also available to people recovering from a hospital stay and needing temporary help to maintain their independence and quality of life. However, in order to work out just how much help is needed to make life easier for you, we do need to carry out an assessment.

After the assessment, we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation.

You can browse the support at home section of our services directory for more information and details of services available.

How much does it cost?

There may be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on what services you receive.

Can I get help with the cost?

It is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. You may need to pay a contribution for any personal care and support you require. 

We may provide or arrange services for you but there are other ways of getting the support you need. You can choose to have a Personal Budget and use the money that you receive from us to arrange your own support.

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.