Someone to help you

What is available?

If you are having problems moving around safely, even with the help of equipment, you may need help from a care worker.

Once your practical needs have been assessed we can put together a care package that will give you practical help. This could include a care worker calling to help you get in and out of bed or help to move around from room to room, including assistance to use the toilet if needed.

Who can get help?

Anyone over the age of 18 with eligible needs who lives in Swindon and needs practical help due to frailty or illness, physical or learning disabilities, sight or hearing loss. Help is also available to people recovering from a hospital stay and needing temporary help to maintain their independence and quality of life. However, in order to work out just how much help is needed to make life easier for you, we do need to carry out an assessment.

After the assessment, we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation.

If you don't qualify for a care package from Adult Social Care you could arrange to employ a care worker privately through a home care agency, but remember to take care to choose one that is registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Follow the link below for more information or visit the CQC website.

How much does it cost?

There may be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on what services you receive.

Can I get help with the cost?

It is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. You may need to pay a contribution for any personal care and support you require. Your contribution is based on what you can reasonably afford to pay, not on how many services you receive. To work this out we look at your income and savings and your outgoings. If you have savings or investments of £23,250 or more, we will ask you to pay the full cost of the services we provide to you.

We may provide or arrange services for you but there are other ways of getting the support you need. You can choose to have a Personal Budget and use the money that you receive from us to arrange your own support.

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.

Useful contact

Care Quality Commission (CQC)
Address: Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA
Phone: 03000 616161
Fax: 03000 616171