Equipment to help you

What is available?

If you have problems getting around your home, there is a range of specially designed equipment to help you move around safely. This could be an additional stair rail to help you get up and down the stairs safely. You may need a grab handle to hold onto when getting in and out of your home. Chair raisers can take the strain out of sitting down or getting up from your chair. A simple bedroom grab rail may be all you need to help sit up in bed.

All items of minor equipment will help to make life easier for you and enable you to stay living independently in your own home.

Who can get it?

Items of equipment may be loaned to young people and adults who live in Swindon, who are registered with a Swindon GP's surgery and who need help due to frailty or illness, physical or learning disabilities, sight or hearing loss. These can sometimes be all that is needed to help you to maintain your independence and quality of life and keep you safe in your own home.

If you think you need straightforward equipment or minor adaptations to your home, you may prefer to make your own arrangements. In which case, remember that you will be responsible for the costs of whatever you decide to buy. Some shops will have trained staff who will be able to demonstrate the equipment and give you any information, help or advice that you need.

Alternatively, you can contact us to arrange an assessment to see what could make your day to day living easier. For adults, the Adult Social Care assessment process will also determine whether you are eligible to loan community equipment. 

How much does it cost?

If you choose to order equipment yourself, you will be responsible for the costs of whatever you decide to buy. However, if following our assessment we agree that you need equipment to make your day to day living easier, then we will pay the cost of the loan of that equipment.

Follow the link below to visit our online MarketPlace where you will find details of organisations that offer this type of service, and other services that will help you live independently.

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.