Major equipment and adaptations

What is available?

If you are having problems getting up and down stairs and generally moving around your home we may be able to help you.

We can assess your practical needs and then consider which pieces of major equipment can help you. It could be a stair lift or a hoist to help you or your carer maintain your independence. It may be that an adaptation to your home, such as a ramp or level access shower, could enable you to remain living there independently.

Another way to keep your independence is to move into sheltered or extra care housing that has been specially designed to better suit your needs. You can view the sheltered and supported housing pages if you would like more information.

Who can get it?

Anyone over the age of 18 with eligible needs who lives in Swindon and needs help due to frailty or illness, physical or learning disabilities, sight or hearing loss. To help maintain independence and quality of life we may be able to loan major pieces of equipment or make recommendations to carry out adaptations to your home. In order to work out just what would make life easier for you, we do need to carry out an assessment.

How much does it cost?

This will depend on the equipment or adaptations required.

Can I get help with the cost?

Yes it is possible, particularly if you are on benefits. We may be able to recommend a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) on your behalf. This may include details of your finances.

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.

Related content

The equipment to help you at home page has information on other equipment to help you stay living independently in your own home, such as grab handles, bath boards or chair raisers.