Housing related support services

Some people feel that they need extra support for a number of reasons. These could be because of age, disability, poor physical or mental health, drink or drug problems or because of domestic violence.

Housing related support can help with life skills such as cooking, managing your money and shopping, support finding accommodation, help getting access to health, education and employment services, support with claiming the right welfare benefits and filling in forms, and help to stay safe and secure wherever you are living.

Housing related support services can:

  • Provide alarm and warden services in sheltered housing schemes for older people
  • Help young people leaving care to prepare for greater independence through training in basic skills such as cooking
  • Help women and children who have experienced abuse by offering them support in a refuge or in their own home
  • Arrange services for people with sight or hearing loss, physical or learning disabilities to help them to be as independent as possible
  • Help people leaving hospital or prison, refugees, people with poor mental health, teenage parents or those who are homeless to set up home or adjust to living independently in supported housing 

These services can be arranged by Swindon Borough Council; we can assess your needs and work with local organisations to provide the right support for you. Alternatively, you may choose to arrange your own support. This can be either accommodation-based support, for example a warden in a sheltered housing scheme, or floating support which means that staff visit you in your own home, or support within a shared property where you will hold a tenancy and may share some support hours.  

You can also visit the Care Quality Commission (CQC) website for more information on service providers, including copies of inspection reports.

How much does it cost?

You may need to pay a contribution for any personal care and support you require. When you get in touch, Swindon Borough Council will assess your financial situation to work out how much you have to pay towards the cost of your support.

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.