Paying for residential and nursing home care if you own property

If you own a property you will need to fund the cost of your care. However, in some cases the property is disregarded. If this is the case and your other financial assets fall below £23,250, the Council will complete a financial assessment to determine how much of the cost you will need to fund.

Disregarded Properties

The value of your property will be disregarded for the first 12 weeks of your permanent stay in care home. Thereafter it will also not be counted if any of the following criteria apply:  

  • Your husband, wife or partner continues to live there
  • A relative aged 60 or over continues to live there
  • A relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances continues to live there
  • A child under 16 for whom you are financially responsible continues to live there

If you believe there are any other reasons why we should not take into account the value of your property, please tell us.

Deferred Payment Scheme

The Care Act 2014 requires Swindon Borough Council to operate a deferred payment scheme so that people who do not want to sell their home can defer the payment of care home fees until a later date. The care home fees will still need to be paid however, the deferred payment scheme allows the costs to be deferred to a later date.

There are costs associated with the scheme and we would advise that you get independent financial advice before entering into the scheme. 

Paying for more expensive accommodation

If you choose to go into a care home that is more expensive than we are prepared to pay for, you will need to pay the extra costs with a 'top-up' fee. This extra amount can be paid by a friend or relative, or by some voluntary organisation. If you own property and sign a deferred payment agreement, then you can pay this extra amount yourself.

We advise you to talk to your Social Worker before you agree to pay for more expensive care. If you are not able to keep making the top-up payments you may have to move to another home and this can be both upsetting and unsettling. 

Please see the following documents:

Cap on cost of care

It is the government’s intention to  introduce a cap on the cost of social care. The proposal is that from April 2020 the cost of social care will be recorded and you will not be asked to pay more than £72,000 towards the cost of your care.

A proportion of the costs of a care home relates to board and lodgings and you would still need to pay these. However, after April 2020 you will not be asked to contribute towards the cost of social care once you have reached the cap of £72,000.

Useful contact

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.

These different schemes can seem very complicated and everyone's circumstances are different. We strongly recommend that you contact us for free, confidential advice to see how you will be affected.