Assessments and eligibility for care and support
If you are an adult or a carer with care and support needs you are entitled to an assessment to identify the extent of those needs and to see if you are entitled to any help.
What the Care Act says about assessments
- If you are an adult who appears to have care and support needs, the Council must offer you an assessment
- A needs assessment is a discussion between you (or the person you look after if you are a carer) and a trained worker, about your care and support needs and the things you want to achieve
- Your wellbeing is at the heart of an assessment - the aim is to focus on the outcomes you want to achieve and to determine how you would be affected if you were not able to achieve those outcomes
- The assessment must consider the impact of an individual’s needs on any relative or carer
- A safeguarding enquiry must be carried out if, during an assessment, the person appears to be at risk
What the Care Act says about eligibility for care and support
- Councils must decide whether or not an adult or a carer has needs which entitles them to care and support
- The Care Act introduces a new national criteria which sets a minimum threshold for adult care and support needs and carer support needs which all Councils in England must meet
- Local Authorities will determine whether any needs identified during an assessment are eligible for care and support using the same criteria
- The decision about your eligibility must be based on your assessment
- When a decision has been made about your eligibility, the Council must provide you with a copy of their decision
What if I am not eligible for support?
If you are not eligible for help from the Council we will provide you with information and advice on what can be done to meet or reduce your needs or prevent needs from developing in the future. For example, providing information on services in the community to help you with meals, cleaning or mobility.
You can browse the support at home section of the services directory for more information and details of services available.