Someone to speak on my behalf (advocacy)

Having someone to speak on your behalf is often known as advocacy.

Advocacy means having someone who will express your views and wishes, secure your rights and represent your interests. It safeguards people who are vulnerable by speaking up for them. It enables people with physical or learning disabilities, older people and those with mental health needs to make informed choices and decisions about their own health and social care.

Advocacy helps you to access information and services and to explore choices and options. Advocacy is completely independent from the organisations that provide social care services. Advocates act only according to the wishes of the person they are speaking for. They do not take their own view of what is best, or try to influence the person to make a different choice. The Swindon Advocacy Movement, an independent organisation, provides advocacy services in Swindon.

Swindon Advocacy Movement (SAM)

Advocacy can help raise the voices of  people living in Swindon by helping them express what it is they want and aspire to as members of their community, both locally and wider. SAM currently provide:

  • User involvement and participation
  • Group advocacy and one-to-one advocacy

The above is provided to people who have complex needs, learning disabilities, physical disabilities and carers of people using services of health and social care. 

Useful contacts

Swindon Advocacy Movement (SAM)
Address: Swindon Advice and Support Centre, Sanford House, Sanford Street, Swindon SN1 1HE
Phone: 01793 542266 or 01793 542575

You can contact Swindon Advocacy Movement direct but if you are still unsure the Adult Social Care team will be able to advise you.