Paying for residential and nursing home care

What are the charges?

If you have to go into a residential or nursing home the cost is going to be one of the things that concerns you most. There are a number of residential and nursing homes in Swindon and they all charge different amounts, depending on the facilities they provide and the amount of care that you need.

We can tell you how much each of these homes charge, or you can contact them directly. Most importantly we will tell you how we work out how much you will have to contribute towards the cost of staying in a residential or nursing home.

Please do remember that this information will only act as a guide and that in some circumstances different rules will apply. However, we will do our best to give you the financial facts and explain the charges.

Will I have to pay?

The costs of running a residential home means everyone has to pay something towards their stay. How much that is will depend on your personal circumstances and we will look at your finances with you, to help work out how much you will have to pay.

What if I am only going in for a short stay?

If your stay is not expected to last for more than 56 days then there is a fixed flat weekly charge depending on your age. From April 2014, these charges are: £115.50 per week or £16.50 per night.

Because of Government changes to State Pension age, the pension will vary from person to person. For example a woman who turned 60 on 10th October 2011 would not have been entitled to retirement pension until May 2013, therefore the higher fixed rate would be applicable from this date. 

For further information please follow the link below.

However, if you have savings of over £23,250, or you do not want to give us details of your finances, you will have to pay the full cost of your stay.

Will I pay for nursing care?

The NHS will currently pay £115.50 each week towards the cost of your care if you are in a registered nursing home and you are not entitled to NHS Continuing Healthcare.

You will still have to pay a contribution for other accommodation charges and for personal care (for example, help with dressing and bathing) and this will be worked out in the normal way. In most cases, if you receive free nursing care, it will not affect how much you pay towards your care.

Can I get help with the cost?

Yes it is possible. You will be asked to fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. To get a rough idea of costs use our online calculator to carry out a quick, confidential financial self assessment.

We have to take into account any pensions or wages you receive, Pension Credit, Income Support and any extra social security benefits you may be entitled to claim for your stay in the home. We do not count Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance as part of your income. Please note that Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance Care Component or Personal Independence Payment Daily Living component can only be paid to a resident in a care or nursing home for up to a maximum of 28 days where any of the cost of accommodation board and personal care are paid by the Local Authority.

We also have to take into account any savings you may have. If your savings are over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home. Any savings between £14,250 and £23,250 will also be taken into account when we work out how much you will have to pay.

Will I have to sell my house?

We will not count the value of your home if any of the following apply:

  • Your husband, wife or partner continues to live there
  • A relative aged 60 or over continues to live there
  • A relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances continues to live there
  • A child under 16 you are financially responsible for continues to live there
  • Other special circumstances

However, if there are no special circumstances we do have to take into account the value of your house when deciding how much you should pay for your residential or nursing home care. If you need help or advice then please get in touch.

Useful contact

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support. 

Confused by Social Care Jargon?

The Social care jargon buster is a plain English guide to the most commonly used social care words and phrases and what they mean. Click here to use the