Appointee Services

An Appointee will look after your finances for you should you become unable to manage them yourself and have no family or friends able to help you.

An appointee is the official title given to the person who is appointed by the Secretary of State of the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to act on behalf of a person who is in receipt of benefits who is unable to manage their benefit affairs because of mental incapacity (or severe physical disability).

It may be possible for the Council to administer your finances and become your Appointee if:

  • You are receiving social care services such as home care, day care or a support worker
  • You live in a residential or nursing home and receive state benefits

If you would like the Council to become your Appointee then please speak to the person who arranges your care.

What does an Appointee do?

As Appointee, the Council will arrange to receive your state benefits and pay your bills. This includes opening a bank account in yours and the Council's name and managing your finances by ensuring that you get the correct benefits and paying daily living bills using your money.

Is there a charge for this?

Currently there is no charge for this service.

What if I am not eligible for a social care service?

A relative, friend or associate can apply to the Department for Work and Pensions to become your Appointee.

Useful contact

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
Address: Spring Gardens House, Princess Street, Swindon SN1 2HP
Phone: 0845 606 0265