Day care

What is available?

Day care is a popular service offered to people who need some help with personal or practical care and are unable to get out and about by themselves.

Day care is usually available in a resource centre, community building or a residential home and offers more support than an ordinary day centre can provide. Professional caring staff can support you with personal care, such as going to the toilet, reminding you to take medication or help with washing or bathing. You may also be able to have a hot meal and drinks during the day and a chance to socialise and to take part in a number of leisure and craft activities.

Who can get day care?

Adults over 18 years of age, who have been assessed 'eligible needs' due to frailty or illness, physical or learning disabilities, sight or hearing loss. Support is also available for older people with mental health issues.

In order to find out just how much help is needed to make life easier for you, we do need to carry out an assessment.

After the assessment, we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation. We can then help you find a suitable place, or, you can browse the online service directory, where you will find details of organisations that will offer this type of service.

How much does it cost?

There will be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on how often you use day care.

Can I get help with the cost?

It is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. You may need to pay a contribution for any personal care and support you require. Your contribution is based on what you can reasonably afford to pay, not on how many services you receive. To work this out we look at your income and savings and your outgoings. 

More information on social care charges

What if I'm not eligible for a service from Adult Social Care?

If you don't qualify for help from Adult Social Care, you may be able to purchase the same service privately. Follow the link below to visit our online service directory where you will find details of organisations that offer this type of service, and other services that will help you to live independently.

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.