Access to your social care records

This explains why we keep social care records, what sort of information the records contain and how you can arrange to see your records if you want to.

The Council's Adult Social Care services aim to protect and promote the wellbeing and rights of vulnerable people. We rely on receiving and sharing information so that we can look at your social care needs and then discuss with you the services that are available to meet them.

We do understand that for some people, giving even the most basic information about themselves is a very sensitive issue. We may also be given information about you by someone else, such as a member of your family or your doctor. We know that you quite rightly expect any information provided to be treated as confidential and we respect that.

What is in the records?

The type of information we keep will include details like your date of birth and your name and address. Depending upon the nature of the service that we provide we may also need to keep information of a more personal or sensitive nature like your personal circumstances, health, lifestyle and financial situation. We will also keep a record of meetings with you and others, any decisions made and services provided.

Sometimes these records are kept in paper files, or they could be held within our computer systems. Your records are always treated with appropriate confidentiality and security and they will only be accessed by those who need to see them to assess your needs or provide you with a service. We may also share your information with those organisations listed on our Adult Social Care Privacy Notice or any other service-related Privacy Notice provided to you when your information was collected or given. Our corporate Privacy Notices will also advise you how long we will need to keep your records to meet our service, regulatory or lawful obligation needs.

Can I see them?

You have a right to see your personal information under the Data Protection Act 2018. This means that when you make a Data Protection Subject Access Request to the Council, they must tell you whether or not we hold any personal information about you and provide you with copies of any personal information you want to see.

The Data Protection Officer is the person who deals with Subject Access Requests across the Council and is responsible for making sure that this is dealt with properly by each service. 

If you want to find out what information the Council holds about you then please feel free to contact us. We will need to confirm your identity and address before going ahead with your request, as this is to ensure that we do not release your personal data to anyone other than yourself. To assist you in making a request to see your personal information and to enable us to provide the information requested as quickly as possible, you can make an online application by following the link below:

Make a Subject Access Request   

What happens next?

Once we have received your application, proof of your identity and any supporting information we need, we will usually be able to provide you with copies of your personal information within 1 calendar month. The Data Protection Officer will let you know when your information is available, or you can make arrangements to look at your information at our offices in the presence of a member of Adult Social Care staff.

Please be aware that there are certain situations where we may not be able to let you have some or all of the requested information, particularly if it includes information about someone else, or if giving you the information may cause you harm or is needed specifically for the prevention or detection of a crime. If we are unable to provide access to some of your requested information, we will always explain why.   

Useful contact

Data Protection Officer, Wat Tyler House, Princes Street, Swindon SN1 2JH