Extra care housing

What is it?

Extra care housing supports you to live independently for as long as possible and still gives you the security and privacy of having your own front door.

The schemes in Swindon provide self-contained flats designed to meet the needs of older people. There are facilities that residents can share if they want to. A scheme manager and fully trained care staff are available 24 hours a day to provide extra care and support. This will help you keep your independence and may prevent you having to go into residential care or hospital, or enable you to be discharged early.

Who can get it?

Anyone living in Swindon with eligible needs can apply, whether you live in your own property or are a Council or Housing Association tenant. However, to work out whether extra care housing would be the right move to make to meet your needs, we do need to carry out an assessment.

After the assessment, we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them.

How much does it cost?

There are two different elements to the overall cost of living in extra care housing:

  • The cost of renting your home and your usual household bills
  • A housing service charge to maintain the shared communal facilities

Can I get help with the cost?

If you have care needs it may be possible for you to get help with these costs. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for help.

Depending on your income or savings, you may qualify for Housing Benefit or Income Support and you may also be entitled to exemption from Council Tax.

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.

Extra care housing schemes