Short breaks for people with learning disabilities

What is available?

There are a number of options for people who have a learning disability to enjoy a short break. Ranging from a purpose-built facility to adult placements within carer's homes or help from Swindon Borough Council to arrange a short break in a different way.

What options are available if you need support?

  • 3 Firethorn Close. This is a purpose-built service with a range of ensuite bedrooms including facilities to cater for people with the most complex needs. It is very spacious and has additional areas to offer daytime opportunities and teatime visits. There is also a garden on site. Staff are well trained to support people during their stay.
  • Shared Lives (adult placement). Shared Lives specialise in providing care, support and accommodation to any vulnerable adult aged 18 years or over. The service differs from managed care homes as the client usually lives within the carer's home. Shared Lives carers come from a wide range of backgrounds and there are a number of different services located within Swindon.
  • Arranging your own short break. You may be able to get help from Swindon Borough Council to arrange a short break in a different way for example, going away with friends of other family members or being supported at home whilst your carer(s) have a holiday.

Who can get this support?

All these options offer short breaks for people with learning disabilities aged 18 years or over. However, in order to work out whether a short stay would best meet your needs, we need to carry out an assessment. 

After the assessment, we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation.

How much does it cost?

There will be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on how long you stay and what services you receive.

Can I get help with the cost?

It is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. You may need to pay a contribution for any personal care and support you require. Your contribution is based on what you can reasonably afford to pay, not on how many services you receive. To work this out we look at your income and savings and your outgoings. 

We may provide or arrange services for you but there are other ways of getting the support you need. You can choose to have a Personal Budget and use the money that you receive from us to arrange your own support.

How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care team are the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to adult social care and support.