Emergency help for the person you care for

If you care for someone who cannot look after themselves without your support, you may be worried about what you would do and how you would react in an emergency.

There are a number of ways in which you can respond and get the help that you need.


Always keep the phone number for your local GP handy. Out of normal surgery hours you will be redirected to the urgent GP / Nurse centre which provides cover for GPs from 6.30pm to 8am during the week and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays. Or you can phone them direct, out of normal surgery hours on 01793 646466 and they will advise you if the person you care for has medical needs that cannot wait until your surgery is next open.

Urgent GP / Nurse Centre

When you need medical help fast but it isn't a 999 emergency, call 01793 646466. The Urgent GP / Nurse Centre is a walk-in centre where no appointment is required. It can be accessed directly, if you feel your condition is such that you cannot wait for an appointment to see your own GP.

Accident & Emergency

Great Western Hospital, Marlborough Road, Swindon SN3 6BB. Phone: 01793 604020

Emergency Services

In an emergency, ring 999 for immediate help from the Ambulance, Fire or Police.

Adult Social Care

Contact the Adult Social Care team from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4.30pm Friday (except on public holidays). In an emergency, out of these hours, phone the Emergency Duty Team on 01793 436699.

Planning ahead for emergencies

Forward planning can take the ‘emergency’ out of the situation for you. There are several schemes available to help you, such as the Carers Emergency Card Scheme. For more information visit the Help for you in an emergency page.